Policy, Planning and Compliance Director
SERVE THOSE WHO SERVE OTHERS!
The Virginia Retirement System (VRS), an independent state agency located in Richmond, Virginia, delivers retirement and other benefits to covered Virginia public sector employees through sound financial stewardship and superior customer service. VRS ranks as the 14th largest public or private pension fund in the U.S. and the 42nd largest in the world, serving more than 778,000 active and inactive members, retirees and beneficiaries. Our members include public school teachers, political subdivision employees (counties, cities, towns, special authorities and commissions), state agency employees, public college and university personnel, state police, Virginia law officers and the judiciary with approximately 832 participating employers.
Join VRS as a trusted leader in the delivery of benefits and services to those we serve.
VRS fosters a high-performing workforce in a hybrid work environment (2 days in the office, 3 days remote) where employees are celebrated and professional growth and development is encouraged. Featured benefits include health and life insurance, paid vacation and holidays, an agency bonus program and participation in the VRS retirement program with options for additional tax-deferred retirement savings to include employer matching.
The Policy, Planning and Compliance Director is a key member of the executive team who plays a significant role in the agency’s policymaking and leadership activities. Reporting to the VRS Director, this position provides legal analysis of applicable statutes, rules, and regulations, and provides legal support to VRS departments and staff in coordination with the Office of the Attorney General.
Responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
• Directs and coordinates the activities of the policy, legislative, actuarial, and appeals areas of the agency.
• Plans, manages, oversees, and directs policy and in-house legal activities in the areas of actuarial support, the development and revision of Board policies including Requests for Board Action, policy and legal review of retirement plans and supplemental programs, review and negotiation of contracts, Freedom of Information Act requests and approved domestic relations orders (ADROs). Provides comprehensive analysis and legal advice regarding all aspects of VRS’ operations.
• In conjunction with the Office of the Attorney General, provides complex legal support to the VRS Director and staff. Coordinates and oversees the work of outside legal firms providing specialized legal services to VRS, coordinates with other governmental entities on policy matters affecting VRS and undertakes special projects and other duties as directed.
• Provides legal advice, guidance, and support to department managers in the area of policy, legislative interpretation and application, research, and appeals under the Virginia Administrative Process Act.
• Manages legislative affairs including directing staff who provide liaison activities with the General Assembly, JLARC, and other external stakeholders to ensure that complete and accurate information is available related to legislation, fiscal impact statements, studies, and requests for information.
• Applies state and federal law, including all appropriate regulatory provisions. Maintains in-depth knowledge of the Virginia Administrative Process Act, the Virginia Appropriation Act, legislative and regulatory processes, and provisions related to retirement plans in the Internal Revenue Code.