Investment Operations Manager
This position is responsible for managing the Investment Operations processes which include all aspects of the trade life cycle, asset servicing, investment accounting, and cash management. This position is also responsible for the management and professional development of the Investment Operations Analysts and will have four direct reports.
Our ideal candidate has an extensive financial services background with proven leadership skills, technical knowledge and the ability to motivate and engage staff. We are looking for an approachable, open-minded, and collaborative investment operations manager who has experience implementing new strategies, demonstrates a very high level of accuracy and thoroughness and serves as a resource to support their team in performing their jobs efficiently and effectively.
- Responsible for providing a consistent high level of operational support to the Investment Department
- Directs processes to ensure compliance with policies, regulations and internal and external guidelines relating to securities processing
- Provides collaborative and professional communication with internal and external business associates to ensure timely and accurate resolution of issues
- Confirms accurate records are maintained in all relevant investment systems (eFront, Longview, Portia, FXAll, etc.)
- Consistently reviews and ensures proper internal controls are maintained and current for all investment operations functions
- Manages the trade life cycle to ensure the timely matching and settlement of trades
- Oversees the asset servicing process to ensure accurate income collection, corporate action processing, and securities valuation and pricing
- Directs all cash management processes, including reconciliation, forecasting, transfers, and movements associated with private market cash flows, for individual portfolios and the general investment cash account
- Responsible for the management, evaluation, and development of Investment Operations staff as assigned
- Provides research assistance and functionality testing for investment system implementations and upgrades
- Works with Investment Business Analysts and Data Stewards to research and resolve investment data issues
- Evaluates, researches, and implements changes to job procedures and policies within the Investment
- Operations Policy and Procedures manual and maintains records according to the Record Retention Policy
- Responsible for managing staff to ensure that all securities transactions and records are accurately entered, reconciled, reviewed, and recorded
- Leads the hiring and onboarding process for new members of the Investment Operations team, including training and development of skills and knowledge. Provides assistance and backup to other team members as necessary
- Carries out other duties and projects as assigned
- Bachelors degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or closely related field; seven years Investment Operations or Investment Accounting experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Extensive experience in investment operations management
- Advanced knowledge of investment instruments and investment related data and software such as BlackRock Aladdin, Bloomberg, eFront, FXAll, and Omgeo CTM
- Strong working knowledge of information systems with PC proficiency and experience with MS Office
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Effective team building, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical, organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent oral, written, presentation, and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize
- Standard office environment with constant computer operation, and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy and printer machine.
HYBRID WORK OPTION
Opportunity to work from home up to four days per week. Eligibility dependent upon factors detailed in PERA's Work from Home Policy.
JOB DESCRIPTION DISCLAIMER:
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of an employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned with or without notice.
Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot consider candidates that require sponsorship (now or in the future), or are located outside of the US.
Complete the employment application online at https://www.copera.org/careers. Please have copies of your resume and cover letter available to upload. Please review the following questions. You will be asked for a response to these as part of your application:
- What approach do you take in communicating with people? What kinds of communication situations cause you difficulty? Give an example.
- Describe a task or project that you completed that required a very high level of data analysis, accuracy and thoroughness. What steps did you take to ensure both were achieved?
- What steps do you take to ensure accuracy while managing multiple staff and tasks at once?
- Some people work best as part of a group others prefer the role of individual contributor. How would you describe yourself? Give an example of a situation where you felt you were most effective.
- Why are you interested in this position? Why do you think your skills and/ or experiences would make you successful in this position?
ABOUT COLORADO PERA
As Colorados largest public pension plan, we are committed to providing retirement and other benefits to more than 600,000 current and former teachers, State Troopers, corrections officers, snowplow drivers, and many other public employees who provide valuable service to all of Colorado.
We hire exceptional employees and invest in their growth and development. We are passionate about our work and committed to serving our members by delivering quality customer service, sound investment decisions, and education programs. Our culture is built on the core values of integrity and accountability, excellence and initiative, collaboration, and engagement. We value diverse perspectives and promote an inclusive culture, recognizing that our people are our primary asset. We provide a healthy work-life balance and a culture where excellence is rewarded. At PERA, your work makes a difference every day.
At PERA, you will earn more than just a paycheck- our total rewards package is focused on wellbeing. We offer a comprehensive benefit plan with eligibility for most plans being the first of the month following the date of hire. We offer a generous paid time off plan as well as paid volunteer hours, PERAs defined benefit plan, 401(k) and 457 defined contribution plans (including employer match on the 401(k), as applicable), tuition assistance, on-the-job training, free access to an on-site fitness center, free on-site parking or RTD subsidy, and more. PERA is also a Public Service Loan Forgiveness qualifying employer. For more information, please visit www.copera.org/careers.
Position Title: Investment Operations Manager
Division: Investment Operations
Reports to: Investment Operations Director
Job Status: Full Time; Exempt
Salary: $125,000 - $145,000 annually, commensurate with experience
Posting Dates: 3/2/2023 - 3/26/2023