Accountant III Investments/Private Equity
This position is responsible for the accounting for Colorado PERAs Private Equity investments. Responsibilities include preparing journal entries, analyzing financial reports, reconciling accounts, researching discrepancies, and monthly and annual closes. Additional duties may include assisting with the accounting and review of Colorado PERAs public markets, Alternatives, and Real Estate investments.
Our ideal candidate is a reliable professional with investment accounting experience who is detailed oriented, motivated, and adaptable. Were looking for an individual who can work independently and effectively as part of a team in a deadline driven environment, follow established processes and procedures, and confirm the accuracy of their own work. The ability to manage multiple priorities and communicate effectively is a must. If you are a dynamic, collaborative professional interested in working to fulfill the retirement expectations of our members, this is a great fit. You will use your unique skills to do important and meaningful work for the state of Colorado citizens.
- Records cash flow transactions and quarterly accounting for the Private Equity investments
- Analyzes external financial reports, capital account statements, authoritative guidelines and legal contracts to determine the appropriate accounting treatment for various complex investment transactions
- Calculates the time and money-weighted returns for the Private Equity investments
- Imports data and reconciles holdings in the portfolio management system (Private i)
- Prepares reporting for the Federal Reserve
- Designs, compiles and produces financial and managerial reports
- Maintains the reporting databases and modifies the database structure to meet changing needs
- Develops and implements new procedures as necessary
- Communicates with internal and external business associates to ensure that accounting transactions and records are accurately set up, reconciled, reviewed and recorded
- Cross trains with and supports other investment portfolio accounting
- Ensures that the proper internal controls are in place over the investment accounting transactions and financial reporting
- May review work of junior and peer level accounting staff
- Validates the accuracy of work product prior to submission for review
- Assists with the month-end and yearend close of the Combined Investment Fund (CIF) and preparation of related monthly financial reporting
- May compile data for certain required state and federal filings
- Researches accounting guidance (U.S. GAAP, GASB) for applicability to Colorado PERAs investments accounting and financial reporting
- Assists in preparation and review of Colorado PERAs Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR)
- May assist in accounting system design
- Devises, develops and implements new procedures as necessary
- Participates in training and educational opportunities for ongoing professional development
- Maintains regular and prompt attendance in the workplace
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned
- Bachelors degree in accounting, finance or other related field; progressive general ledger accounting and/or auditing experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- MBA or related post-graduate degree preferred, licensed CPA preferred
- Professional accounting/auditing experience, preferably in the pension or investment accounting field
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel
- Familiarity with Microsoft Access and relational database design a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting software; experience working with PeopleSoft Financials and nVision preferred
- Strong mathematical and quantitative analysis skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to analyze complex financial reports and systems
- Knowledge of accounting software; experience working with PeopleSoft Financials and nVision preferred
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and work with minimum supervision within a team environment
- Effective interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Standard office environment with constant computer operation, and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy and printer machine.
HYBRID WORK OPTION
- Opportunity to work from home up to three days per week. Eligibility dependent upon factors detailed in PERA's Work from Home Policy.
JOB DESCRIPTION DISCLAIMER:
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of an employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned with or without notice.
Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot consider candidates that require sponsorship (now or in the future), or are located outside of the US.
Complete the employment application online at https://www.copera.org/careers. Please have copies of your resume and cover letter available to upload. Please review the following questions. You will be asked for a response to these as part of your application:
- How do you minimize the risk for errors in your work?
- When faced with a new task, how do you learn best?
- Describe your career progression and how you believe this position would contribute to your career goals.
ABOUT COLORADO PERA
As Colorados largest public pension plan, we are committed to providing retirement and other benefits to more than 600,000 current and former teachers, State Troopers, corrections officers, snowplow drivers, and many other public employees who provide valuable service to all of Colorado.
We hire exceptional employees and invest in their growth and development. We are passionate about our work and committed to serving our members by delivering quality customer service, sound investment decisions, and education programs. Our culture is built on the core values of integrity and accountability, excellence and initiative, collaboration, and engagement. We value diverse perspectives and promote an inclusive culture, recognizing that our people are our primary asset. We provide a healthy work-life balance and a culture where excellence is rewarded. At PERA, your work makes a difference every day.
At PERA, you will earn more than just a paycheck- our total rewards package is focused on wellbeing. We offer a comprehensive benefit plan with eligibility for most plans being the first of the month following the date of hire. We offer a generous paid time off plan as well as paid volunteer hours, PERAs defined benefit plan, 401(k) and 457 defined contribution plans (including employer match on the 401(k), as applicable), tuition assistance, on-the-job training, free access to an on-site fitness center, free on-site parking or RTD subsidy, and more. PERA is also a Public Service Loan Forgiveness qualifying employer. For more information, please visit www.copera.org/careers.
Position Title: Accountant III - Investments Private Equity
Reports to: Investments Accounting Manager
Job Status: Full Time; Exempt
Salary: $87,000 - $102,000 annually, commensurate with experience
Posting Date: 1/20/2023 - Until Filled