Accountant II - Investments Public Markets
This position shares responsibility for the accounting for Colorado PERAs public market investments using U.S. GAAP and, specifically, GASB accounting standards. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: review and analysis of investment manager and custodial bank reporting in order to facilitate the reconciliation of transactions and month-end holdings for Colorado PERAs public equity and fixed income portfolios, researching discrepancies, communicating with internal and external parties, follow-up, documentation, and preparation of month-end general ledger journal entries to record cash movement, transactions and gain/loss activity for internally and externally managed equity and fixed income portfolios. Additional duties include assisting in the preparation and review of Colorado PERAs Annual Comprehensive Financial Report and research of GASB accounting guidance. The individual works under the guidance and direction of the Investment Accounting Manager and Colorado PERAs Director of Accounting/Controller.
Our ideal candidate is a reliable professional with public market investment accounting experience who is detailed oriented, motivated, and adaptable. We are looking for an individual who can work independently and effectively as part of a team in a deadline driven environment, follow established processes and procedures, and confirm the accuracy of their own work. The ability to manage multiple priorities and communicate effectively is a must. If you are a dynamic, collaborative professional interested in working to fulfill the retirement expectations of our members, this is a great fit. You will use your unique skills to do important and meaningful work for the citizens of Colorado.
- Organizes and analyzes investment manager and custodial bank monthly financial reporting
- Corresponds verbally or via email with the custodial bank, investment manager, and/or internal departments as part of the reconciliation/reporting process
- Reconciles purchases/sales activity, capital changes, principal payments and holdings as reported by the investment manager to those reported by the custodial bank; resolves and documents differences
- Enters key financial data into account analysis sheets and compares the result to the custodial bank monthly financial reporting package
- Prepares monthly general ledger journal entries to record cash movement, transactions, positions, and gain/loss activity occurring in equity and fixed income portfolios
- Ensures general ledger portfolio balances agree to the custodial bank monthly financial reporting package
- Validates the accuracy of work product prior to submission for review
- Assists with the month-end and yearend close of the Combined Investment Fund (CIF) and preparation of related monthly financial reporting
- May compile data for certain required state and federal filings
- Researches accounting guidance (U.S. GAAP, GASB) for applicability to Colorado PERAs investments accounting and financial reporting
- Assists in preparation and review of Colorado PERAs Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR)
- May assist in accounting system design
- Creates and maintains Microsoft Excel spreadsheet files
- Participates in training and educational opportunities for ongoing professional development
- Maintains regular and prompt attendance in the workplace
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned
- Bachelors degree in accounting, finance or related field; advanced degree preferred (MBA, MS Accounting)
- Three or more years of industry experience in financial accounting and/or auditing; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Familiarity with public market fixed income and equity securities
- Data entry skills with intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel; VBA skills a plus
- Knowledge of accounting software; experience working with Portia, PeopleSoft Financials, and nVision preferred
- Knowledge of governmental and business accounting reporting requirements
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and work with minimum supervision, and within a team environment
- Ability to validate the accuracy of work prior to review
- Effective interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- Standard office environment, including work from home, with constant computer use
HYBRID WORK OPTION
- Opportunity to work from home up to three days per week. Eligibility dependent upon factors detailed in PERA's Work from Home Policy.
JOB DESCRIPTION DISCLAIMER:
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of an employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned with or without notice.
Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot consider candidates that require sponsorship (now or in the future), or are located outside of the US.
Complete the employment application online at https://www.copera.org/careers. Please have copies of your resume and cover letter available to upload. Please review the following questions. You will be asked for a response to these as part of your application:
- Name the components of basic financial statements?
- What is the accounting equation?
- What is the difference between realized gain/loss and unrealized gain/loss?
- What is bond income called?
- What is stock income called?
ABOUT COLORADO PERA
As Colorados largest public pension plan, we are committed to providing retirement and other benefits to more than 600,000 current and former teachers, State Troopers, corrections officers, snowplow drivers, and many other public employees who provide valuable service to all of Colorado.
We hire exceptional employees and invest in their growth and development. We are passionate about our work and committed to serving our members by delivering quality customer service, sound investment decisions, and education programs. Our culture is built on the core values of integrity and accountability, excellence and initiative, collaboration, and engagement. We value diverse perspectives and promote an inclusive culture, recognizing that our people are our primary asset. We provide a healthy work-life balance and a culture where excellence is rewarded. At PERA, your work makes a difference every day.
At PERA, you will earn more than just a paycheck- our total rewards package is focused on wellbeing. We offer a comprehensive benefit plan including Health, Dental and Vision coverage, with eligibility for most plans being the first of the month following the date of hire. We offer a generous paid time off plan as well as paid volunteer hours, PERAs defined benefit plan, 401(k) and 457 defined contribution plans (including employer match on the 401(k), as applicable), tuition assistance, on-the-job training, free access to an on-site fitness center, free on-site parking or RTD subsidy, and more. For more information, please visit www.copera.org/careers.
Position Title: Accountant II - Investments Public Markets
Reports to: Accounting Manager - Investments
Job Status: Full Time / Exempt
Salary: $57,190 - $79,000 annually, commensurate with experience
Posting Dates: 8/10/2022 - 8/28/2022