Chief Investment Officer
TMRS is seeking an experienced and accomplished investment executive to be its CIO to manage its $35 billion Trust Fund. Reporting to the Executive Director, the CIO is the central point of responsibility and accountability for the Investment Program and leads a team of 25.
Qualifications and Experience
A strategic investment leader with broad asset class knowledge and institutional experience including significant experience in portfolio construction and asset allocation are required. Additional requirements and preferences include:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in finance, economics or related field.
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in institutional investment management, including relevant institutional investment management or consulting experience in a senior leadership role.
- An understanding of capital markets, investment strategies, principles and practices of institutional investing, investment operations and investment policy development.
- Track record of success in investment management. For applicants having/had responsibility for an investment program, asset class or a portfolio, a positive track record of investment returns as compared to asset class and peer benchmarks is required.
- Experience hiring, coaching, mentoring, and retaining staff.
- Passion for public service and the mission of public retirement systems.
- Master’s degree or higher.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
- Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA).
Chief Investment Officer
||Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS)
|Posting Start Date:
||Leadership Competencies and Characteristics
The CIO should be a strategic and forward-thinking executive dedicated to public service. The CIO must be a leader of the highest integrity who takes ownership of the Investment Program, is committed to delivering investment results that meet or exceed benchmarks, while valuing transparency, open communication, and strong Board governance.
The CIO is a key member of the TMRS leadership team and must collaborate with colleagues and lead with a participative and collaborative team environment. Other important skills and competencies include:
- Being intellectually curious and a critical thinker.
- Excellent judgment and strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify issues pro-actively and present creative, practical solutions.
- Willingness to have candid conversations and courage to make tough decisions.
- Confidence to put forward and defend ideas and recommendations while being open to adjusting them based on input from others.
- Social and interpersonal skills to engage and build positive relationships with the Board, across the organization, independent consultants, investment managers, and others.
- Effective at building consensus.
- Ability to articulate complex financial and investment information in a clear and simple manner that is tailored to a particular audience.
- Poise and presence to professionally and positively represent TMRS.
The compensation and benefits package is designed to attract the best-qualified investment executive for TMRS. The CIO will participate in the TMRS retirement plan, where the employee contribution rate is 7% and TMRS matches 2:1 upon retirement. TMRS employees also participate in Social Security. Additionally, Texas residents do not pay state income tax.
For additional information about the position or to apply, please contact Hudepohl & Associates at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 854-7300. TMRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
||This listing expires on: 11/20/2021