Director of Technology Security Operations
The Virginia Retirement System (VRS) is the 18th largest public or private pension fund in the United States with over $83 billion in invested assets. Our commitment is to serve those public servants who serve others by helping them prepare for tomorrow, today. We’re leveraging new technology capabilities to revolutionize our approximately 723,000 active and inactive members, retirees and beneficiaries’ ability to use simple but robust tools to interact with us just like they would with their favorite financial institution.
What we do matters, and our people and technology ensure we excel. Our shared values of integrity, teamwork, accountability and agility are on display every day in our new work environment designed especially for our agile teams. Together with our business partners we are developing innovative tools that enable our staff to provide superior customer service to every member and enables our members to take an active role in planning for their retirement security. Most importantly, our new technology solutions will ensure that every one receives their monthly benefit on time, every time.
This newly created Director of Technology Security Operations is Responsible for directing and overseeing the technology security operations program across the enterprise, managing security staff and ensuring that Technology Security Services staff act as expert resources for the agency. Additionally, this position will oversee strategic direction and tactical implementation of an advanced security program designed to anticipate and respond appropriately to emerging threats while collaborating with the agency Information Security Officer (ISO) to ensure timely reporting to the Virginia Information Technologies Agency (VITA) and reconciling identified compliance gaps.
Other duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Develops, maintains and implements enhancements to agency’s security standards, policies and best practices. Monitors to ensure compliance with policies.
• Directs the agency’s cyber fraud analytics program to ensure fraud prevention and detection.
• Actively assists the CTSO in leading the office and ensuring that technology and security is proactively applied to solve business problems and achieve business goals.
• Directs the successful security integration of a variety of systems, platforms, and architectures. Performs as the primary VRS Computer Incident Response Team (CIRT) Coordinator.
• Provides input and review of material for security awareness program and training; reviews training material to ensure consistency with agency operations and serves as a subject matter expert to deliver components of in person activities.
• Implements and maintains a program of preventative, detective and corrective controls; collaborates with agency ISO to ensure timely reconciliation of identified compliance gaps.
• Applies a broad range of advanced expertise of technology and security principles, best practices, policies and procedures to direct other technology staff in the completion of difficult and complex assignments crossing multiple functional areas.
• Directs projects and establishes a culture of innovation and excellence in technology.