NASRA was founded in 1955, which is when it held its first conference in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1956, W. Frank DeLamar was elected the first president, and the now annual summer meeting was in his home state of Georgia. (Mr. DeLamar was also the inaugural director of the Employees' Retirement System of Georgia, which was created by act of the state's 1949 General Assembly.)
In the first 61 years, NASRA has had three logos, each of which included a polygon. The original logo used an equilateral triangle with the words “for the members, for the systems, for the taxpayers.” In the late 1980s, NASRA added a celtic knot to symbolize shared community and strength. In 2015, the current logo was introduced, simplifying the design by using the polygon shapes to convey movement and connectivity.
Today, NASRA is a non-profit association whose members are the directors of the nation's state, territorial, and largest statewide public retirement systems. NASRA members oversee retirement systems that hold more than two-thirds of the $3.8 trillion held in trust for nearly15 million working and 10 million retired employees of state and local government.
To serve the members of the National Association of State Retirement Administrators in managing sustainable public employee retirement systems through research, education, and collaboration.