Who we are
NASRA is a non-profit association whose members are the directors of the nation’s state, territorial, and largest statewide public retirement systems. NASRA members oversee retirement systems that hold more than $2.0 trillion in assets and that provide pension and other benefits to more than two-thirds of all state and local government employees.
NASRA Associate members are private sector firms that work with governmental retirement systems. An associate membership belongs to the firm and can be transferred to a different representative within the firm. NASRA limits the number of associate members to 200. Associate membership does not include subsidiaries. Associates are represented in NASRA by nine members who serve on the Associate Advisory Committee; the chair of the Associate Advisory Committee is a member of the NASRA Executive Committee.
What do we do?
NASRA activities are coordinated by the Executive Director, the Director of Federal Relations, and the Research Director, and include the following:
- Providing assistance or rallying support for any member facing a challenging situation.
- Maintaining a legislative presence in the nation’s capital to influence legislation impacting the public pension industry.
- Maintaining a standing survey of key characteristics of public retirement systems. Access to the survey is limited to members of NASRA and the National Council on Teacher Retirement, their associate and corporate members, respectively, and members of other designated groups.
- Providing networking opportunities for members and associate members, especially through an annual conference
- Providing opportunities for all NASRA members to communicate through email list servs and a NASRA newsletter. Four list servs provide an easy method of communication for members, associates, contact individuals at member systems, and system procurement officers.
- Maintaining a clearinghouse of information and resources pertinent to public retirement system administration and policy. This information is available from the NASRA web site and the NASRA staff.
- Providing financial support and participation on the Governmental
Accounting Standards Board (GASB) that formulates accounting
rules applicable to public retirement systems.
- Maintaining membership on the Public Pension Coordinating Council, an umbrella group that promotes excellence among public retirement systems and coordinates activities for the public pension community.
For questions about NASRA membership, the annual conference, or about NASRA administrative issues:
External Affairs Manager
For questions about federal issues and legislation:
Jeannine Markoe Raymond
Director of Federal Relations
For research questions and questions about state retirement issues:
Keith Brainard (Bio)
For media inquiries:
External Affairs Manager